Braised Beef and Red Wine Pie
Are you looking for a hearty and comforting dish to warm you up on a chilly evening? Look no further than this delicious Braised Beef and Red Wine Pie. This classic dish combines tender braised beef, rich red wine, and a flaky pastry crust to create a meal that is both satisfying and full of flavor. Whether you are hosting a dinner party or simply want to treat yourself to a special meal, this recipe is sure to impress.
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, toss the beef cubes with flour until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef cubes in batches and brown on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add the diced onion, carrots, celery, and minced garlic to the pot. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pot and add the red wine, beef broth, tomato paste, bay leaves, and dried thyme. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and transfer to a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C). Braise for 2 to 2 ½ hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Remove the pot from the oven and discard the bay leaves. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C).
- Transfer the braised beef mixture to a pie dish or individual ramekins.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut out a circle slightly larger than the pie dish or ramekins.
- Place the puff pastry over the beef mixture, pressing the edges to seal. Brush the pastry with beaten egg.
- Make a few small slits on the top of the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and puffed.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
This Braised Beef and Red Wine Pie is the perfect dish to enjoy on a cozy night in. The tender beef, flavorful red wine sauce, and flaky pastry crust come together to create a meal that is both comforting and delicious. Serve it with a side of mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables for a complete and satisfying meal. So, gather your ingredients and get ready to impress your family and friends with this mouthwatering dish!